Sunday, July 7, 2013

Family time, pt.2

Another Reason Why We Stay In CA Despite The Craziness:



I'm usually hesitant to take friends and family on the water, since SF Bay summer winds can really kick up, and I'm always using a rented, unfamiliar boat.  But this day was picture perfect, maybe 10-12 knots, and I finally got Terry comfortable at the wheel.  (Thanks to my brother in law for this nice photo, which he framed and gave me for Christmas that year.)

Plug for Serengeti Pilots.  Those sunglasses survived getting hit by a winch handle.  I was lucky; the handle struck me right on the eyebrow, and the glass lens did not break.  It was a very hard but glancing blow. The skipper of that boat had a strange expression on his face later, while we were chatting about startups, which I eventually realized was due to the fact that I was dripping blood on his deck.  He was probably worried about being sued (this is California, after all) but it was totally my fault.  Never be casual around unfamiliar machinery, because it might bite.

Plug for Ericson yachts.  For entertaining non-sailors on the Bay, I prefer them for their well-behaved heeling, sail balance, and tendency NOT to stall the rudder under high loads.  Sadly, my favorite charter marina, Cass in Sausalito, is out of business.

Plug for Mariners Point.  They have an excellent youth golf program, or it seemed so to me.  Only Terry golfs in my family, so I suppose I should really ask for his opinion.  [He just agreed.]

No comments: