Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Catching up

Long time no post. Lots has happened in the intervening months. (EXACTLY 2 years to the day, how about that?)

Commenting on my 4/15/2011 post, John Murawski asked if my dad had ever used the centrifuge at Johnsville in Philly. By sheer coincidence I was moving some image files around today and ran into this:




 It says AMES on the helmet and the suit, so this was almost certainly taken at NASA Ames, not Johnsville. Sorry, John.

[ Update: Hmm.  The capsule says Navy.  I would have thought a centrifuge at NASA Ames would say NASA on it.  So, I guess I have no idea where this was taken.  And probably the suit and helmet were merely brought wherever from Ames. ]

I have vague memories of seeing the centrifuge at Ames, probably in the late 60's. What I remember, though, is a framed certificate he had, congratulating him on his "unusual courage" in allowing his body to be subjected to extreme "eyeballs-in and eyeballs-out" G loads.

There's no real point here, just memories that floated up because of random coincidences.

No comments: