Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On having the same name

I had occasion to post a short story on usenet news, all true, about the time I almost lost my father his job.  It involved a small metal box on a three-foot-tall post, next to the place where all the airplanes were parked.  And boredom.  I was only 6 or 7, after all, and the conversation up by the hangar was boring.  Boring.

Anyway, there was a walkway down to the ramp area, and this box on a post.  The door on the side of the box was open, a bit.  There was this little lever inside.

It's amazing how much noise the air-crash crew at a Naval Air Station makes when the alarm goes off.

Apparently they wrote the whole thing off as an unplanned exercise.  I never heard anything about it, and after all, I lived.  And they did not fire my dad.

So after the posting, I get an email from a lady named Mary Shafer.*  She asks, Are you the Fred Drinkwater from NASA?  Because this story is very familar.

Turns out she was in the group up by the hangar that day.  And no, I was not the guy from NASA, just his little kid.  Same name, though, more or less.


* Ms. Shafer was heavily involved in the SR-71 program at Edwards AFB / Dryden FRC, and this was probably around the time that Ames had an F-104 program down there, hence the connection.

No comments: